Nation building and state formation in Latin America and the Caribbean
• Who counted as a “citizen” in those countries? Who was left out? Who was included? Why? Did that ever change?
• What was acceptable behavior for citizens? What was not acceptable?
• What role did the state play in constructing and enforcing categories of citizenship?
• What role did race and gender play in constructing these nation-states?
• What methods did the state use to incorporate people into the nation-state and to assert control over their lives?
• How did these states attempt to build legitimacy among the people and citizens?
• What symbols or imagery was used to construct ideas about the nation?