To prepare for a career in Information Security it is imperative to have at least a user level of knowledge on the Linux operating system. There are over 600 Linux distributions and thousands of free Linux based security applications. For this assignment you will install and document a Linux distribution of your choice.
You can can install Linux in any matter you wish. Dual boot, install it on a old PC, or install it under a virtualization engine such as Virtual Box. I have an HOWTO in Blackboard on installing and using Virtual Box please omit these steps in your project. After your complete your installation you will use the operating system and write report on the installation and an evaluation of the operating system.
- Hardware description of your system
- Source and version of Linux installed
- The installation procedure that you used to install. If you used a wizard, state the choices that you made at each step. Anyone should be able to install your distribution using your instructions.
- A screen shot of your Linux desk top after you created a user account for yourself. (Can use a camera)
- Evaluate your distribution like you where writing this for a technician publication. What did you like about it and why? Why did you select the distribution? What are strengths and weaknesses? Would you recommend it for others to use and why?
- Length 5 pages
- Install and document a Linux distribution to your hard drive.
- Evaluate this operating system and the packaged software.
- Promote the open source movement.
You can choose any distribution of your choice, some suggestions include; CentOS, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Kali, etc.
BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST! Just in case