HOLMES INSTITUTE FACULTY OF HIGHER EDUCATION HI6007 Group Assignment Due End of Week 10 WORTH 30% (Maximum 5 students in the group)
MS Excel must be used to perform any calculations/graphical presentations as required in this assignment
Question 1 7 marks
Below you are given the examination scores of 20 students (data set also provided in accompanying MS Excel file).
- Construct a frequency distribution, cumulative frequency distribution, relative frequency distribution, cumulative relative frequency distribution and percent frequency distribution for the data set using a class width of 10. (5 marks)
- Construct a histogram showing the percent frequency distribution of the examination scores. Comment on the shape of the distribution. (2 marks)
Question 2 8 marks
Shown below is a portion of a computer output for a regression analysis relating supply (Y in thousands of units) and unit price (X in thousands of dollars).
Regression 1 354.689
Residual 39 7035.262
Coefficients Standard Error Intercept 54.0762.358
X 0.029 0.021
- What has been the sample size for this problem? (1 mark)
- Determine whether or not demand and unit price are related. Use α = 0.05. (2 marks)
Compute the coefficient of determination and fully interpret its meaning. Be very specific. c.
Compute the coefficient of correlation and explain the relationship between supply and
- unit price. (2 marks)
- Predict the supply (in units) when the unit price is $50,000. (1 mark) Question 3 6 marks
Allied Corporation wants to increase the productivity of its line workers. Four different programs have been suggested to help increase productivity. Twenty employees, making up a sample, have been randomly assigned to one of the four programs and their output for a day’s work has been recorded. You are given the results below (data set also provided in accompanying MS Excel file).
|Program A||Program B||Program C||Program D|
- Construct an ANOVA table. (3 marks)
- As the statistical consultant to Allied, what would you advise them? Use a .05 level of
significance. (3 marks)
Question 4 9 marks
A company has recorded data on the weekly sales for its product (y), the unit price of the competitor’s product (x1), and advertising expenditures (x2). The data resulting from a random sample of 7 weeks follows. Use Excel’s Regression Tool to answer the following questions (data set also provided in accompanying MS Excel file).
Week Price Advertising Sales
- .33 5 20
- .25 2 14
- .44 7 22
- .40 9 21
- .35 4 16
- .39 8 19
- .29 9 15
- What is the estimated regression equation? Show the regression output. (2 marks)
- Determine whether the model is significant overall. Use α = 0.10. (2 marks)
- Determine if competitor’s price and advertising is individually significantly related to
sales. Use α = 0.10. (2 marks)
Based on your answer to part (c), drop any insignificant independent variable(s) and d.
re-estimate the model. What is the new estimated regression equation? (2 marks)
- Interpret the slope coefficient(s) of the model from part (d). (1 marks)