Sarbanes-Oxley Act was enacted in 2002 and there was new rule put in place for Auditor Independence. This requires External Auditor to be independent from the client. Similarly the Institute on Internal Auditors (IIA) provides guidance for Internal Auditors to be Independent and Objective – Standard 1100 – Independence and Objectivity.
As a student of audit and as future accountants it is very crucial to understand the difference between the two types of Independence.
Required: 3 page double spaced, APA format, need citations.
- Provide detailed analysis of Independence according the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX, 2002).
- Provide detailed analysis of IIA Standard – 1100.
- Compare the two standards.(compare first two question)
- In your words how do you think Internal Auditors can maintain Objectivity and Independence in their report?
- Why is it important for Internal Auditors to be Independent?