Answer the following questions in paragraph format
Source 1: Roger Williams: The Bloody Tenets of Persecution for Cause of
Conscience (circa 1536)
1. Identify: What is William’s main argument? What is the “doctrine of
2. Analyze: How does Williams argue the true relationship between state, religion,
and power should be? Give specific examples.
3. Evaluate: How does this proclamation differ from Luther’s? How could William’s
ideas be considered dangerous by other Protestants in both Europe and North
Source 2: Isaac Newton: The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy (1687)
1. Identify: Paraphrase Newton’s four rules
2. Analyze: Newton writes about scientific method. How, according to Newton, do we
make scientific laws? What role does experience play?
3. Evaluate: How may scientific reasoning challenge the religious beliefs of the 17th
century? Give examples.
Source 3: Lady Mary Wortley Montague, Letter on Turkish Smallpox Inoculation (1717)
1. Identify: What is the letter describing? How is the process of inoculation different from a
2. Analyze: To what extent is the process of smallpox inoculation a reflection of
Newton’s scientific principles? Give specific examples.
3. Evaluate: What does the last third of the letter tell you about the medical profession in
England in the early 18th century?
The post Roger Williams: The Bloody Tenets of Persecution for Cause of Conscience (circa 1536) appeared first on Robust Papers.