M1-A 2: Discussion—Stereotypes of the Working Poor
The working poor in America face multiple social obstacles, especially negative stereotypes that act as a powerful barrier to success.
In M1: Assignment 1, the opening introductory discussion, you shared your opinion about the term “working poor.” Now you have the opportunity to do some actual research on the topic.
Using the module readings, online library resources, and the Internet, research stereotypes of the working poor. Then, do the following:
- List and define at least three stereotypes.
- Explain how each stereotype can be misleading and provide ideas on how these stereotypes can be overcome.
Write your initial response in approximately 200–300 words. Apply APA
By the due date assigned, post your response to the Discussion Area. Through the end of the module, review the postings of your peers and respond to at least two of them. Consider commenting on the following:
- How do stereotypes vary as per racial or ethnic or gender group?
- Do stereotypes vary in different regions of the country?
- How do your peers’ experiences compare to your own?
Grading CriteriaMaximum Points
Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16
Quality of responses to classmates12
Frequency of responses to classmates4
Reference to supporting readings and other materials4
Language and grammar4