LABOR LAW AND UNIONIZATIONAssignment Overview
Review the background materials. Imagine that you have applied for a position as an HR executive in a private-sector corporation. As part of the interview process, you have been asked to prepare written notes using Word and a short video (less than 6 minutes) responding to the following interview questions:
- When a business anticipates that its workforce is trying to unionize, which laws and legal issues are most important for the business leaders to know about?
- What is the role of unions in the modern American labor force?
- How is the Human Resources Management function different in a unionized private-sector workforce setting?
- Would you prefer to work with a unionized or non-unionized workforce? Explain.
Note: The video file should be uploaded to YouTube and the link shared. Set as “public” or “unlisted,” NOT PRIVATE. Unlisted means your video will not come up in search results. Only those who know the link can view it, and they do not need a YouTube account/username. The reason YouTube is suggested is that it often takes time to upload a video directly to the classroom. If you have slow Internet, you could be timed out.Important: Be sure to submit a Word document to the Case 4 Dropbox in which you provide your notes and cite and reference your YouTube link along with the other sources utilized to prepare the presentation. The Word document will tell your professor where to find your YouTube video to view.
Case Assignment Expectations
Submit your written outline with title page and reference page along with your video before the module due date (end of the session).
Optional alternative assignment: If, for whatever reason you do not wish to submit a video, then please prepare a PowerPoint presentation of your outline with voiceover.The criteria found in the grading rubric for this assignment:
- Meets assignment requirements
- Critical thinking
- Writing and assignment organization
- Use of sources and mechanics
- Timeliness of assignment