Billings & Halstead – read Chapters 1, 14 & the selected pages from Chapters 10 & 25 (as noted in our course syllabus). In Bradshaw et al. – read Chapters 10 – 14.
This week’s required readings focus on various components of the nursing faculty role, such as the pathway for a job in academia and key teaching strategies for today’s diverse student population. This second assignment expands upon our first-class meeting and will provide you with an even deeper perspective on the life of a nursing faculty.
1. In Billings & Halstead (chapter 1), the author lists factors as to why it is difficult to fill nursing faculty positions and why schools struggle to retain faculty, once hired. Given your own experiences or observations:
· What was your reaction to the readings on this topic?
· In your opinion, what are the three best (& realistic) strategies for getting more nurses interested in going into academia and provide rationales behind your answers.
· What do you think are factors that would promote nursing faculty retention, and why?
2. In Bradshaw & Hultquist (chapters 11, 13, & 14), the authors provide various strategies for making the lecture experience more entertaining and interactive.
Select ONE of the following:
· Describe a school experience you’ve had, where the teacher/instructor utilized humor, debate or gaming as a teaching methodology (was it successful, and why or why not?)
· Describe how you have personally utilize humor, debate, or gaming as a teaching methodology for a class, formal presentation, or in-servicing training that you have done (was it successful in your opinion, and why or why not?)
The post In your opinion, what are the three best (& realistic) strategies for getting more nurses interested in going into academia and provide rationales behind your answers.Discuss appeared first on Essay Quoll.