Chronic Illness and Disability
Assessment Title – Health Education Narrated PowerPoint
Purpose-– This assessment task will allow students to demonstrate an understanding and empathy towards the complexity of modifiable risk factor behaviour alteration for patient with chronic illness and or disability. This assignment will develop students’ ability to identify factors which inhibit independence and diminish quality of life, require consideration of issues that inform behaviour, and advocate practical strategies for modification. Students will have the opportunity to demonstrate critical thinking, clinical reasoning and the principles of caring for people with a chronic illness or disability are applied.
Length— 8 to 10 minute narration of a PowerPoint presentation. Minimum of 6 slides including introduction and conclusion. Slide/s containing reference list are not counted in the minimum.
Students will choose one of case study that display multiple modifiable risks. Students can then choose ONE risk factor to focus their assessment on. Students are required to develop a narrated PowerPoint on behaviour change for patients with multiple chronic diseases or disabilities. It is expected that appropriate evidence-based literature will be used to support answer the following questions:
1. Briefly summarise the case study and define the chosen modifiable risk factor behaviour.
2. Outline factors that may contribute to the behaviour (why the behaviour happens), and how the behaviour will impact on the chronic illness or disability.
3. Identify a health behaviour theory that may be appropriate to explain the behaviour and can be used as the basis for an intervention to modify that behaviour. (there is a number of health behaviour theories that can be linked to how we as nurses can support patient’s/clients to modify behaviours)
4. Outline and justify one (1) innovative and practical strategy that can be implemented at home by person in the case study to encourage risk factor behaviour modification, why it is a relevant strategy for the case study, and what the RN’s role will be within this strategy.
5. Outline and justify one (1) appropriate (real) service/support/group in your area able to assist. Include a brief description of the service (relevant to the clinician, not the consumer), why this service will assist, how will it be funded, and what the RN’s role will be within this strategy. Please include contact details for the service (a website or phone number) on the PPT slide.
Case Study: 1
Alan, 75 years old, retired from the public service four years ago. He lives alone in a second storey apartment on a busy main road. Alan no longer drives due to vision issues, has a BMI of 34.9, and is diagnosed with osteoarthritis, hypertension, hepatitis C, skin cancer and polycystic kidney disease. He has recently had a fall getting out of the shower but did not sustain any injuries. Alan spends his time watching Netflix or playing games on his Ipad. Alan leaves his house only to see his GP every two months to renew his multiple prescriptions and walks next door to the petrol station to purchase food supplies every few days. Alan has current referrals from the GP to a physiotherapist, dietician, occupational therapist and has appointments for all within the next 6 weeks.
Case study: 2
Parker is a 19-year-old full time student, studying marketing. Parker has a history of asthma, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, anxiety, depression. Parker’s mother coordinated schedules, diet, medications, doctors’ appointments; however, she passed away four months ago, and Parker now lives alone. Parker now often runs out of prescribed medications, schedules but fails to attend for appointments, relies on take-out food, and isn’t sure where his repeat prescriptions are. Parker was recently fired from his job at McDonald’s due to poor attendance from increasing anxiety and failed three units at uni last semester. Parker has current referrals from the GP to a physiotherapist, dietician, occupational therapist and has appointments for all within the next 6 weeks.
File format PowerPoint Show (.ppsx)
Structure –Introduction slide, content slides, conclusion slide, reference slide/s. Minimum of 6 slides, excluding reference slides. (please use dot points on content slides, full information should be in script)
Direct quotes- Always require page number. No more than 10% of WC in direct quotes
Footer Name – Student Number – Ax2 – NRG372 – 2021 (in 9 point Calibri or Arial)
Referencing Style– APA 7th
Minimum References -A minimum of 14 high quality resources are to be used.
Age of References Published in the last 5 years as this area of knowledge is rapidly developing
List Heading “References” is centered, bold, on a new slide (14 point Calibri or Arial) Alphabetical Order References are arranged alphabetically by author family name
Hanging Indent Second and subsequent lines of a reference have a hanging indent
DOI Presented as functional hyperlink
Spacing Double spacing the entire reference list, both within and between entries
Book can use: Health Behaviour and Health Education : Theory, Research, and Practice
Karen Glanz, Barbara K. Rimer, and K. Viswanath