Assignment 2: LASA 1 IP Networking
In this assignment, you will write a paper in which you recommend whether you feel your network is ready to transition to IPv6.
The IP is the basic communications protocol that all Internet traffic communicates with; essentially, the entire Internet is built on it. For the past two decades, we have used IPv4. In June 2012, there was an official worldwide release of an upgrade to IPv6. Routers, bridges, switches, and all other equipment (including operating systems) across the world had to be compatible with this version to ensure cross compatibility. The new version minimizes the size of packet headers (therefore, sending less traffic), supports multicasting, allows for stateless auto configuration, and, perhaps most importantly, adds IP address capability. Under IPv4, there were about 4.3 billion IP addresses available. Under IPv6, 340 trillion trillion (yes, two trillions) addresses available. This removed the urgent need for more IP addresses across the globe.
Your boss has read about IPv6 and wants to know whether the network you oversee is ready for the transition. Prepare a response based on the networking and computer operating systems used in your facility. In your response, include the following:
· Identify the computer operating systems and networking systems used in the company.
· Explain the pros and cons of IPv6 over the use of IPv4. Compare and contrast the two technologies.
· Identify if the organization is currently ready for IPv6. Justify your answer with research.
Your company is assigned a 188.8.131.52/24 CIDR block by your ISP. Below is a CIDR block list for your reference. Your company consists of four different networks:
· Network A: 50 users
· Network B: 26 users
· Network C: 12 users
· Network D: 10 users
Describe how you will create four subnets and allocate enough IP addresses for the users within the network.
|CIDR BLOCKS AND NUMBER OF HOST IDS PER SEGMENT|
· By the due date assigned, prepare a 5- to 7-page report. Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., use APA format); and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
· Save your document in a Microsoft Word document with the name M3_A2_LastName_FirstIinitial.doc, and upload it to the Submissions Area.
LASA 1 Grading Criteria and Rubric
All LASAs in this course will be graded using a rubric. This assignment is worth 200 points. Download the rubric and carefully read it to understand the expectations.
|Grading Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Identified the computer operating systems and networking systems used in the company.||40|
|Explained the pros and cons of IPv6 over the use of IPv4. Compared and contrasted the two technologies.||40|
|Identified if the organization is currently ready for IPv6. Justified your answer with research.||36|
|Described how you will create four subnets and allocate enough IP addresses for the users within the network.||40|
· Organization (12)
· Usage and Mechanics (12)
· APA Elements (16)
· Style (4)