As the Human Resource Manager at GreenTech Ltd., you are ready to prepare your
next report. You will review, assess, and analyze a topic, event, or case, and based on
your findings, you will share a written report with your supervisor, the Chief Human
Resources Officer (CHRO). Your report will summarize the topic, event, or case and will
include a recommendation for improving HR practice at your company.
Unit 6 Topic:
Read the R. Williams Construction Co. v. OSHRC case study found in Chapter 14
of your textbook readings this week.
Based on your review of the case study, consider the following:
The court ultimately found that the Williams Construction Co. failed to instruct its
employees in proper safety measures and made no effort to ensure that employees did
not enter the trench on the day of the collapse. Consider the determining factors that led
to this conclusion. Consider any specific OSHA violations that were referenced in their
HRM341 – Employment Law
Unit 6 Assignment Forum
ruling. The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) impacts a variety of businesses
and industries. Evaluate how OSHA regulations impact your practice as a Human
Based on your review of the case study, address the role of safety requirements in the
workplace and the employer’s responsibility to ensure a safe work environment for
• Summarize the law or legal principle involved. (This can generally be done in one
• Summarize the case or event. Share the important facts and highlights that are
important from a Human Resources practice perspective. (This can generally be
done with one or two short paragraphs.)
• Explain why the facts and highlights you chose were important for the practice of
• List at least five ways this case or event might impact the practice of HR. (This is
a brainstorming activity. A bulleted list is fine for this.)
• Identify which of the five items is most important to HR. Provide an assessment
and analysis of that item, along with one directly related specific recommendation
for the HR team. The recommendation must be actionable, must be explained,
and must be supported with evidence from your readings and research.
(Keep in mind generic statements, broad ideas, unsupported personal opinions, and
merely repeating what is in this assignment description do not satisfy the assignment
This assignment is your opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of the law or
legal principles based on the case or event reviewed as it relates to the practice of HR.
This assignment is also your opportunity to demonstrate your critical thinking and
analytical skills by using the case or event as a catalyst to explore how HR practices
can be improved.
The goal of this assignment is not to do as much writing as possible but to do as much
focused and thoughtful idea-sharing as possible.
Make sure you use evidence and support for each section of your response.
The ideal assignment will include the following:
• Response to Part 1 (with citations linked to a reference)
• Response to Part 2 (with citations linked to a reference)
• Conclusion (with citations linked to a reference)
• References (with a minimum of three references)
• Submit your assignment in the text box of the designated Unit Assignment
Forum. APA format is not required for any assignment forum submission.
However, all assignments should be well-organized and include an introduction
• Support your answers with evidence from at least three resources (text, readings,
research, etc.) using citations and references.
• The required length of your entire response is approximately four to five
paragraphs (summary, evaluation, comparison, opinion).
• Review one to two classmate’s postings after posting your submission to the
assignment forum. Use the RISE model of peer feedback to provide your
classmates with constructive feedback that they may consider when finalizing the
final project later in the semester.
Be sure to read the criteria below by which your work will be evaluated b