This month you are to write a 750 word research paper on any psychological disorder. This paper is worth 20% of your grade. You will need to preview chapter 14 for some ideas on a disorder that interests you. I also listed some websites below. Please use the APA format and cite at least three (3) sources. I have guidelines on using the APA format and citing sources in Student Resources for you. To submit your paper click on the Psychological Disorder Paper link under Week 3. Then click on the View/Complete link at the bottom of the page. Then attach your paper. Follow the directions below for a step-by-step process.
Here are some websites that may be helpful to you:
- NAMI: https://www.nami.org/learn-more/mental-health-conditions
- Psychology Information Online: http://www.psychologyinfo.com/problems/
- AllPsych Online, Virtual Psychology: http://allpsych.com/disorders/index.html
- Psych Crawler Search Engine: http://www.fidnet.com/~weid/disorders.htm
- Psych Central: http://www.psychcentral.com/
Assignment Requirements (Use as a checklist):
- Topic is a psychological disorder
- Use a 10 or 12 pt Arial or Times New Roman Font
- Double-space paper
- Minimum of 750 words. No more than 1,000 words
- Minimum of three (3) cited sources
- Use APA format and parenthetical citations right after cited material (See below)
- Make sure your name is on your paper
- Paper should contain an introduction, a body, and a conclusion
What is a parenthetical citation right after the material you cited?
It is when you place the source in parenthesis ( ) right after the sentence you cited instead of waiting until the end of the paper. It helps the reader to know exactly what sentences and paragraphs are taken from particular sources.
Example: Place the author’s name and the source’s date of publication in parentheses immediately after the end of the cited material.
- Psychology is defined as the science of behavior and mental processes (Coon, p. 12)
- Families with no telephone service have difficulty accessing social services for which they are qualified (Benton Foundation, 1998, chap. 2, “Societal Priorities”). http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite6.html
- Use spell and grammar check
- Make sure you indented paragraphs (5 spaces in)
- Balance – Each paragraph should be similar in length
Parenthetical (In-Text) Citations
A parenthetical (in-text) citation is when you place the source in parenthesis ( ) right after the sentence you cited instead of waiting until the end of the paper. It helps the reader to know exactly what sentences and paragraphs are taken from particular sources.
Place the author’s name and the source’s date of publication in parentheses immediately after the end of the cited material. If it is a direct quote, include the page number as well. For example: “Psychology is defined as the science of behavior and mental processes” (Coon, 2012 p. 12).
If you have paraphrased the information then you do not need to include the page number. For example: Psychology is a scientific field that specifically studies both mental processes and the associated behaviors (Coon, 2012).