Two companies consider pooling resources to perform a joint venture. The CEO of the first company meets with his legal team, and the legal team consults a number of middle managers in the proposed product area. Meanwhile, the CEO of the first company
For this module you are required to complete the following assignments:
- Exercises: #3 and 5
- Two companies consider pooling resources to perform a joint venture. The CEO of the first company meets with his legal team, and the legal team consults a number of middle managers in the proposed product area. Meanwhile, the CEO of the first company sends an email to the CEO of the second company to offer a couple suggestions concerning the joint venture. Does this scenario follow the OSI model? Explain.
- You are working from home using a microcomputer, a DSL modem, and a telephone connection to the Internet. Your company is connected to the Internet and has both local area networks and a mainframe computer. List all the different network connections involved in this operation.
- Thinking Outside the Box #4
#4 Describe a real-life situation that uses at least five of the network layouts described in this chapter.
- Exercises: #1, 2, 4, and 9
- What is the frequency in Hertz of a signal that repeats 80,000 times within one minute? What is its period?
- What is the bandwidth of a signal composed of frequencies from 50 Hz to 500 Hz?
- What is the baud rate of a digital signal that employs differential Manchester and has a data transfer rate of 2000 bps?
- A signal starts at point X. As it travels to point Y, it loses 8 dB. At point Y, the signal is boosted by 10 bB. As the signal travels to point Z, it loses 7 dB. What is the dB strength of the signal at point Z?
- Thinking Outside the Box #1 and 2
#1 You are working for a company that has a network application for accessing a database corporate profiles. From your computer workstation, a request for a profile travels over the corporate local area network to a modem. The modem, using DSL, connects to the Internet and finally into the database service. the data base service is essentially a modem and a mainframe computer. Create a table ( or draw a figure) that shows every time data or signals are converted to different form in the process. For each entry in the table, show where the conversion is taking place, the form of the incoming information, and the form of the outgoing information
#2 Telephone systems are designed to transfer voice signals (4000 Hz). When a voice signal is digitized using pulse code modulation what is the sampling rate, and how many quantization levels are used? How much data does that generate in one second? Are these the same sampling rate and quantization levels used on a CD? Can you verify your answer?