Purpose of Assignment
Discrimination, Workers’ Rights, Americans with Disabilities Act, and Family Medical Leave all flow from Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As you work through this assignment consider how the law continues to be updated to represent the will of the people, and consider the role the government has in this process.
Resources: Legal Environment of Business: Online Commerce, Business Ethics, and Global Issues: Ch. 19, 20, and 21; Government websites dedicated to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Create a 10- to 12-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation, including detailed speaker notes (speaker notes not required for introduction, conclusion, and reference slides). The speaker notes for each slide should serve as the text for your presentation.
Address the following:
- Describe the scope of coverage of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1967 by describing the five “protected classifications” & summarize the role of Title VII on businesses operations
- Define the following terms: “disparate treatment” & “disparate impact” as they relate to discrimination lawsuits and compare and contrast them.
- Find a link on Youtube or other website that has a video describing a “disparate treatment’ type discrimination lawsuit and copy/paste the link into your slide show and give the facts of the case and the ultimate ruling.
- Find a link on Youtube or other website that has a video describing a “disparate impact” type discrimination lawsuit and copy/paste the link into your slide show and give the facts of the case and the ultimate ruling.
- Define the legal term “sexual harassment” and describe the difference between “quid pro quo” and “hostile environment” type sexual harassment lawsuits.
- Assess the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and how it protects workers.
- Analyze what protections are afforded by the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and issues that may cause liability for employers
- Describe & Assess the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and how it protects workers
- .Describe & Assess the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and identify the current minimum wage in the State of Florida and the current minimum wage nationally
- List the reasons why the minimum wage should be increased and list the reasons why it should not—what does your group think? Should minimum wage be increased?
Cite a minimum of five scholarly references. One peer-reviewed reference must be from the University Library.