The scientific method is useful in problem solving and decision-making in a wide variety of fields, including Criminal Justice. In this assignment, you will demonstrate how a Criminal Justice Professional might use the scientific meth
The scientific method is useful in problem solving and decision-making in a wide variety of fields, including Criminal Justice. In this assignment, you will demonstrate how a Criminal Justice Professional might use the scientific method to make decisions and solve problems.
Identify a specific problem often faced in your field of study. Research your problem and assess your data / research. Examples of such problems could be:
- Solving Crimes
- Establishing facts about a crime (how it was committed, when, and limiting possible suspects); or
- Establishing probable cause for a specific suspect;
- Public Safety
- Determining the most effective policies for keeping the public safe in public spaces or on the roadways
- Determining in the most cost-effective computer for your business;
- Criminal Justice
- The reliability of eyewitness testimony, or
- Determining what evidence reveals to you about a crime;
In this 3-5 page paper you will show how the steps of the scientific method apply to some aspect of your chosen career, or in every day life. To fulfill all the requirements of the paper you will need to:
1. Explain the steps of the Scientific Method (use at least one source)
2. Suggest a TESTABLE HYPOTHESIS. This should be something very specific that can be shown to be either true or false. A silly example of a hypothesis might be “The butler did it!”, because evidence can be gathered to support this statement, or to disprove it. I will be looking for a very clear statement of hypothesis and it needs to be something that YOU come up with.
3. Explain the steps you would take to test your hypothesis. This could be collecting specific data (be sure to provide examples), or designing an actual experiment that you could use to decide whether your hypothesis is correct or not. You do NOT need to actually carry out any experiments here, or collect evidence, etc… just explain what you WOULD do in as much detail as you can.
4. Explain why this testing method should work. What would a successful test of your hypothesis would look like? How would you know that you have successfully proved your hypothesis? What would tell you that your hypothesis was WRONG?
5. Discuss additional steps you could take if your first test was successful, and additional steps you might take if it was unsuccessful- maybe you need a new hypothesis!
6. Be sure you use at least two legitimate sources for your research (Note: Wikipedia and personal blogs do not qualify as quality resources.) . You can research the steps of the scientific method, and also background for the subject you want to test. Are you looking into crime solving, for example? Do research on evidence collection. Are you maybe looking at a hypothesis related to cyber security? Do background research on that.
Your report must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Apply concepts in physical sciences to evaluate current trends and issues in the modern world.
- Describe the physical processes influencing climate and weather.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in physical sciences.
- Write clearly and concisely about physical sciences using proper writing mechanics.