The purpose of this assignment is to develop research and analytical skills. In this assignment students will firstly learn how to develop knowledge based on the current state of the art emerging knowledge domains. They will critically analyse three of the current or future security issues in
The purpose of this assignment is to develop research and analytical skills. In this assignment students will firstly learn how to develop knowledge based on the current state of the art emerging knowledge domains. They will critically analyse three of the current or future security issues in this area and their countermeasures. Internet of Things (IoT) is a network of ‘‘things’’. The term ‘‘thing’’ here can constitute any smart device ranging from home appliances, telecommunication, sensor devices used in vehicles/ agricultural sector/homeland security to health monitoring devices inside of (or connected with) a human body. In fact, any device that has the ability to collect and transfer data across the network can be a part of an IoT system. With the introduction of smart cities, smart homes, smart office and smart devices, the Internet of Things (IoT) is an emerging area of incredible potential of growth. However, most of these IoT devices are at risk of being hacked and compromised. Internet of Things (IoT) still have many security issues that need to be solved (i.e, RFID tag security, cyber security, wireless security, network transmission security and privacy protection etc). In this assignment student will work on the security issues and its countermeasures in the area of IoT.
This assignment includes three parts.
1. Literature review of Internet of Things (IoT): Your review should be supported by at least three (3) academic (journal/conference) papers chosen from the current state of the art. The paper should not be older than four years. Your discussion should include:
i. Introduction to IoT
ii. Characteristics of IoT compared to the traditional network (please include the variety of devices that are used in IoT).
iii. Discuss three areas of applications for IoT.
2. Analyse critically, three current or future security issues in IoT and its countermeasures In this section you will
i. Explain and analyse critically three security issues in IoT.
ii. Explain the countermeasures/mitigation techniques and tools used for each of the security issues mentioned in section i. This section must be supported by at least three (3) references (good quality conference or journal paper such as IEEE/ACM/Springer).
3. Create a 3 – 5 minutes presentation and present your work during the Laboratory class. You have to create a 3 – 5 minutes presentation to present your work in front of your class members and tutor during the Laboratory class in Weeks 11 and 12.
The assignment should be submitted on the Moodle in two separate files:
1. The report should be submitted as a Word file.
2. The presentation should be submitted as a PPT file.
Section to be included in the report
1. Introduction : Introduction of IoT. Introduction should also contain what this report covers and any background information that is needed for marker to understand the report.
2. Literature Review: Literature review of IoT.
3. Security Threats: Analyse critically, three security threats of IoT.
4. Threat Mitigation Techniques and tools: Discuss the threat mitigation techniques and tools used for each one of the security vulnerabilities mentioned in the report.
5. Report Layout : The report layout should be appropriate (following the submission guidelines and containing all the sections mentioned above).
6. Reference style: Follow IEEE reference style.
7. Presentation Slides: The presentation slides should be well organised and clear. Oral Presentation Delivery of the presentation (which includes quality of the presentation, depth of knowledge on the material presented and ability to answer questions asked by the audience)