The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate the skills of the professional nurse as an educator. You are to prepare a guide that will serve as a handout to assist a specific patient that you identify
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate the skills of the professional nurse as an educator. You are to prepare a guide that will serve as a handout to assist a specific patient that you identify. Your guide or handout should help this patient find and evaluate a reliable mobile health, or mHealth application (app) that is already developed. This may be related to the patient’s disease process or diagnosis, or may be an app that can help a patient maintain or improve good health, and prevent illness.
- You will develop the guide using Microsoft PowerPoint. PowerPoint is a versatile application that lets you design slideshows and handouts. For this assignment, you will be using PowerPoint to create a guide or handout that you may print and give to patients and families.
- You are required to cite your source(s) as it relates to your application slide. Other citations are permitted, but this is not a requirement for the assignment
- Title slide (first slide): Include a title slide with your name and the title of the presentation.
- Scenario Slide (one slide): This slide should include a brief scenario, then identify a patient who is experiencing a specific disease process or diagnosis who would benefit from an already developed and reliable mHealth app. Or it could identify a person who is currently healthy and would like to maintain or improve health and prevent illness. Be sure to include the nurse’s assessment of the patient’s learning needs and readiness to learn. Be specific.
Scenario for Ms. Ellis
Jane Doe (your name here)
- Jennifer Ellis, a 62-year-old African American woman, has been recently diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (CKD). She has been prescribed several medications she must take every day.
- The nephrologist has stressed the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle to slow or stop the progression of CKD.
- She is interested in ways in which she can better track her health and make healthier choices.
- She is a high school graduate and iPhone user, mostly to send text messages to family and friends.
- She is eager to learn how to use an app that can help her manage her CKD.
Prepare the following slides as if you are presenting them to the patient.
- mHealth application slide (one to three slides): Identify a developed and reliable mHealth app that could benefit the patient. Describe the app, including the following.
- Intended audience
- Mobile device(s) upon which it will operate
- Where to download or obtain it (include a working link if it is to be downloaded from a website)
- Any other information you believe would be pertinent to this situation
- Be sure to cite all sources you use.
- Teaching slides (one to three slides): Prepare slides that contain important points about the app that you want to teach to the patient, such as how to use the app safely and effectively (including how to interpret and act on the information that is provided).
- Evaluation slide (one to three slides): Describe how you would determine the success of the patient’s use of this app. For example, include ways to evaluate the effectiveness of the teaching plan that are a good fit for the type of app or focus on specific ways that this app benefits the patient’s health and wellness.
- References (last slide): List any references for sources that were used or cited in the presentation.
Writing and design: There should be no spelling or grammatical errors. Writing is concise and clear. Avoid words that the patient may not understand. Slides are visually appealing, incorporating graphics, photographs, colors, and themes.
Review the section on Academic Integrity Policy found in the RNBSN Policies. All work must be original (in your own words) unless properly cited.
Best Practices in Preparing PowerPoint Slideshows
- Be creative but realistic.
- Incorporate graphics, color, themes, or photographs to increase interest.
- Make it easy to read with short bullet points and large font.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Cite all sources within the slides with (author, year), as well as on the reference slide.
- Proofread prior to final submission.
- Check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
NR361 Patient Guide
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeScenario Slide
Scenario is clear and concise, including a disease process or diagnosis, or identify a patient with a desire to maintain good health and prevent illness. Include the nurse’s assessment of learning needs and readiness to learn.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomemHealth Application Slide
Identify a mHealth app that could benefit the patient. Describe the app including its: • Name • Purpose • Intended audience • Mobile device(s) upon which it will operate • Where to download or obtain it. Include a working link if it is to be downloaded from a website. • And any other information you believe would be pertinent to this situation. • Citation
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeTeaching Slide
Information on slides to be taught to patient about the mHealth app including any safety guidelines, and how to interpret and act on the information that is provided.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeEvaluation Slide
Describe how you would determine the success of the patient’s use of the mHealth app.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWriting and Design
Writing contains no spelling or grammatical errors. Bullets should be used instead of long sentences or paragraphs. Reading level is appropriate for patient described. Slides are visually appealing incorporating graphics, photographs, colors and themes. Sources that are used are cited.
|Total Points: 175.0|