Your degree of interaction contributes to your Discussion Activity grade. For every graded discussion, it is expected that you will answer each question with at least 200 words (one or more paragraphs in length) and respond to at least two of your peers’ postings. After posting your primary, original response, any peers’ posts will become available for you to view. As a form of support for your response, you must include an appropriate, accurately documented, in-text citation from the textbook and any other source of your choosing. Additionally, you are are required to provide a reference list reflecting the sources used within your response. Your in-text citations and reference list must be in accordance with the current Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA). Information regarding APA guidelines can be found within the Academic Resources area of the course.
Cultural Diversity Situational Awareness
In this discussion activity, address the following items in your primary, original posting:
- In an inclusive aviation workplace model, how can managers ensure that a global workforce incorporates workforce trends and generational dynamics with a skilled workforce?
- What is the cultural diversity impact on the working environment?
- History can attest that women have made quite the impression on the aviation industry. What is gender diversity and how have women made their mark on the industry? Explain the importance of the role(s) women play in the aviation workplace.
- Include at least one appropriate, accurately documented in-text citation from the textbook and any other source of your choosing from the Hunt Library or Internet.
Please reply to at least two of your classmates by the last day of this module. To ensure that all students receive feedback, reply first to any students who have not yet received replies from other students.
Read the following textbook chapters from Managing Diversity: Toward a Global Inclusive Workplace (Barak, 2014). As you read, think about the roles of cultural diversity in an aviation workplace and how diversification affects company performance.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction and Conceptual Framework: This chapter discusses diversity in global business, and managing and engaging the company’s heterogeneous workforce to give it a competitive edge. It is separate from civil rights legislation and affirmative action policy initiatives.
- Chapter 4 – Global Demographic Trends: Impact on Workforce Diversity: This chapter provides an overview of global demographic trends that contribute to increase workforce diversity throughout the world.
- Chapter 5 – Socioeconomic Transitions: The New Realities of the Global Workforce: This chapter examines the economic and social forces that create a more diverse workforce worldwide.
Read the following resources to increase your understanding of cultural diversity within the aviation industry.
From the Federal Aviation Administration:
From the Web:
From the Hunt Library:
Review the following textbook (Barak, 2014) chapter presentations related to Module 1 learning objectives:
View the videos below related to Module 1 learning objectives. These videos supplement the Module readings.