In this discussion activity, share your research paper topic. Provide a proposed title for the paper and a one paragraph abstract describing what you intend to write about. Include a statement about how the topic will help you achieve your Personal Learning Goal. The following elements must be included in your response:
- Provide a topic related to the course; your topic must be related to your personal learning goal.
- Select and state an occupation and an organization that the occupation belongs to as your focus.
- Provide initial research of the topic and identify a real-world cultural diversity situation in Aviation Workforce Management.
- Provide initial research and development of an innovative solution to the situation.
Your instructor will reply with approval or a request for revision. Note: This activity is the first of three components towards the completion of the Research Paper. View Activity 1.2 – Research Paper Requirements and Important Deadlines for detailed information, instructions, and resources. Satisfactory completion of this activity will be indicated as such by your Instructor in the Grades area. Review the evaluation rubric for this activity and ensure your submission meet the requirements.
Important: You must write a research paper in this course, due at the end of Module 8. Review the information below to learn about the requirements and deadlines. Clarify any questions about this important assessment with your instructor now, if needed.
For your research paper, you will complete the following:
- Research Paper Topic Submission due Module 2 – Choose one topic from the course along with an occupation and an organization the occupation belongs to as your focus. Your topic should be related to your personal learning goal stated in Activity 1.1. Your topic must be approved by your instructor during Module 2, which is a graded activity. Keep in mind that aviation workforce management is a global industry, and as such, you may choose to use any international or national aviation organization for your research, such as an airline, a maintenance repair overhaul (MRO), an airport, an air traffic control environment, an aviation government agency, or a fixed base operator (FBO).
- Mini Literature/Resources Review due Module 4 – Prepare and submit the Mini Literature/Resources Review for the research paper. The Mini Literature/Resources Review is a graded activity. Using your approved topic as a guide, you will research and identify a real-world cultural diversity situation in Aviation Workforce Management. The Mini Literature/Resources Review must be 1-2 pages in length not counting the title and reference page, written according to current APA guidelines, and will be submitted through Turnitin. Turnitin is an anti-plagiarism software used by Embry-Riddle. View specific assignment details for the Mini Literature/Resources Review in Module 4. Use this template document to develop your literature review. You will especially want to review the Hunt Library What is a Literature Review guide located in the resources section of this page.
- Research Paper Submission due Module 8 – Once your topic has been approved and you have identified your situation, research and develop an innovative solution to the situation. Your research paper must be 4-6 pages in length not counting the title page, abstract, and reference page. Current APA guidelines apply and writing must be free of grammatical errors. Ensure the writing is your own and that all sources are properly cited. You will submit the Research Paper using Turnitin. Please take a few minutes and familiarize yourself with the Research Paper Rubric, available in the submission activity in Module 8, to ensure you understand the requirements.
Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Differentiate between national and international laws and regulations governing aviation labor relations.
2. Evaluate and explain the role of cultural diversity in aviation and how a diverse workforce impacts company performance.
3. Assess the effectiveness of aviation labor unions to maintain fair and equitable employee treatment.
4. Assess hiring practices needed to recruit qualified candidates to positions within global aviation maintenance workforce.
5. Analyze the role of aviation managers in conflict resolution and the employee grievance process.
6. Evaluate the impact on production of best practices that ensure the ethical treatment of company employees in a global environment.
7. Compare and contrast the role of formal and informal leaders within the organization and their role in the overall success of the aviation organization.
8. Explain the importance of developing effective workforce scheduling to ensure proper oversight and skill qualification coverage during all shifts.
9. Determine the need to develop an effective aviation maintenance resource management program in the multi-cultural workplace.
10. Demonstrate appropriate selection and application of a research method and statistical analysis (where required), specific to the course subject matter.