Unit VII Essay
To prepare for this assignment, you will need to review information regarding the differences between Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita using the CSU Online Library. You can also utilize resources relating to the topic from the Internet. (Please note that unrestricted sites such as Wikipedia and Dictionary.com are not acceptable reference sources for academic papers.)
Analyze the information that you find regarding the hurricanes and their devastating aftermaths, which resulted in the most costly natural disasters in U.S. history. Make sure that you include the following information in your case study:
1. Differentiate the Hurricane Rita disaster from the Hurricane Katrina catastrophe in 2005.
2. Discuss how Louisiana’s diverse waterway system and levee system could be used to identify this area as a potential location for a flooding event or for hurricane-related hazards.
3. What type of additional hazards did these hurricanes cause?
4. What were the destructive consequences of these hurricanes?
5. What was the emergency response to these hurricanes, and how could they be changed regarding responses?
6. How are flood-prevention strategies being utilized to help mitigate future disasters in these areas?
7. How could emergency managers use such strategies to mitigate the effects of other hurricanes in such densely populated areas as in Louisiana and Texas?
8. How did these hurricanes and flooding events make a political impact upon FEMA response and U.S. governmental policies and procedures pertaining to disasters in the United States?
9. How was volunteerism impacted and changed after these two natural disasters took place?
10. What were some of the moral and ethical obligations that were faced by the emergency managers in both of these natural disasters? How could some of the pitfalls that took place during these emergency responses have been mitigated?
Your essay should be at least three pages in length in 12-point, double-spaced Times New Roman font. Please use APA style for all in-text citations and references that you use. A minimum of three references should be used, two of which should come from the CSU Online Library.
Imagine that you are the emergency manager within your community. Your community has just experienced a major flooding event, and you must deal with the aftermath. Reports have been coming in regarding deaths, food shortages, and hospital shutdowns. You have been asked to begin making decisions regarding dead body management, allocating resources for food supply rations, and rendering of medical care. Describe the process you would follow when beginning to make such decisions.
Your journal entry must be at least 200 words. No references or citations are necessary.
Need original and unplagiarized work, please do not accept if cannot return quality work. Please read assignment fully
Week VII study guide is attached for guidance.