For this assignment, the student will identify and interview someone they know who is in a management role. This allows the student to integrate the experience of real world managers with their own insights into planning and strategy. The assignment also reinforces the importance of contingency planning.
Interview someone you know who is in a management role. This can be at your current place of employment or someone you know personally working in a managerial role.
Prepare a 1,050-word discussion of the interview:
• Discuss what you discovered about contingency planning.
• Discuss how creativity and critical thinking relate to contingency planning.
• Explain how you might integrate creativity into your own planning process.
• Discuss what you learned about creativity and its relationship to the decision-making process.
• Identify the key steps that might require a contingency plan.
Format the assignment consistent with APA guidelines.
Answer the Following Questions
Contemporary Management, Ch. 7: Decision Making, Learning, Creativity, and Entrepreneurship
1. What is the difference between programmed and non-programmed decisions?
2. Why is non-programmed decision making an uncertain process?
3. Programmed decisions can be dictated by internal policy or external through federal regulations. Non-programmed decisions are often ad hoc or random issues that arise.
What are some federal regulation examples that may affect a decision?
Contemporary Management, Ch. 9: Value Chain Management: Functional Strategies for Competitive Advantage
4. Why innovation and product development are crucial components of the search for competitive advantage?
TED Talks: Richard Branson — Life at 30,000 Feet (https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_branson_s_life_at_30_000_feet)
5. Richard Branson is truly an interesting guy. This first video is great but it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Look to the right of the video and you’ll see more topics like Brand, spaceship and academics. If you were to right a report on his motivation and style what key points would you include? Justify your response
6. Describe methods of incorporating creativity into the decision-making process.
7. Identify opportunities to apply innovation and creativity into decision making.
8. Identify business settings where critical thinking may be applied to contingency planning.
Select business situation NLT 4/10/18 – All Team
Locate 1 to 2 articles about the subject NLT 4/11/18 –
Prepare 700-word discussion as follows:
– Engage in team discussions regarding the assignment – All week – All Team
– Intro NLT 4/12/18 –
– Summarize issue NLT 4/12/18 –
– Identify the problem NLT 4/13/18 –
– Relate the research to the problem NLT 4/13/18 –
– Explain how a clearly defined problem could help with solutions NLT 4/14/18 –
– Cite sources – Accomplished in the steps above – All Team
– Conclusion NLT 4/14/18 –
– Format NLT 4/15/18 –
– Submit assignment NLT 4/16/18 – All Team