Art in Your Community
Experience the arts in your local community by attending a performance, or visiting an art museum or gallery. If you go to an art museum or gallery, choose an exhibition or one artwork to discuss for this assignment. Consider all of the visual and performing arts we discussed during the course for ideas. If you are unsure what qualifies as an art experience, just ask. This must be a recent experience (during the course of the class).
Write a review of your arts experience that includes a defense of the arts. Include the following:
- Write a description of the elements of composition: line, color, shape, or movement, theme, rhythm, tone, and so forth that were incorporated into the performance or artwork.
- What was the overall emotional and intellectual effect the performance or artwork had on you? What emotions did you feel? Of what did the experience make you think?
- Write a summary of how you would like to see the arts made more a part of your community. Is there anything you can do to make this happen? How will you support the arts in the future?
- Include a defense of the arts that describes how the arts add value to life. How might creative expression be helpful to people?
Submit your assignment in one of the following formats using the Assignment Files tab:
- A 1,050- to 1,400-word paper following APA Guidelines
- A six- to nine-minute podcast or video