Physical and Emerging Hazards
You are employed by a local municipality as environmental health officer and are placed in charge of solid waste disposal and management.
Currently the county disposes of their municipal solid wastes in a landfill. The landfill’s capacity will end in a few years and a new option is being considered to manage solid waste management in the county for the next 50 years. Write a paper in which you:
- Compare and contrast two alternatives for the county’s solid waste disposal (for example landfill versus incineration). Examples of factors to consider in your analysis may include environmental impacts, human health impacts, resource conservation or recovery, occupational hazards for operators and sustainability.
- Select the best method for solid waste disposal in this scenario setting and explain your rationale.
Use information from your module readings/articles as well as appropriate research to support your paper.
Length: The Case Assignment should be 3-5 pages long (double-spaced).
Turnitin: Your assignment will not be graded until you have submitted an Originality Report with a Similarity Index (SI) score <20% (excluding direct quotes, quoted assignment instructions, and references). Papers not meeting this requirement by the end of the session will receive a score of 0 (grade of F). Do keep in mind that papers with a lower SI score may be returned for revisions. For example, if one paragraph accounting for only 10% of a paper is cut and pasted, the paper could be returned for revision, despite the low SI score. Please use the report and your SI score as a guide to improve the originality of your work.
References: At least three references must be included from academic sources (e.g., peer-reviewed journal articles). Required Reading is included. Quoted materials should not exceed 10% of the total paper (since the focus of these assignments is critical thinking). Use your own words and build on the ideas of others. Materials copied verbatim from external sources must be enclosed in quotation marks. In-text citations are required as well as a list of references at the end of the assignment. (APA format is recommended.)
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Format: APA format is recommended for this assignment.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted for minor errors, assignments are expected to adhere to standard guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
- Achievement of learning objectives for SLP assignment.
- Relevance: All content is connected to the question.
- Precision: Specific question is addressed. Statements, facts, and statistics are specific and accurate.
- Depth of discussion: Points that lead to deeper issues are presented and integrated.
- Breadth: Multiple perspectives and references, and multiple issues/factors are considered.
- Evidence: Points are well supported with facts, statistics, and references.
- Logic: Discussion makes sense; conclusions are logically supported by premises, statements, or factual information.
- Clarity: Writing is concise and understandable, and contains sufficient detail or examples.
- Objectivity: Avoids the use of first person and subjective bias.