Case Study, Stage 5: Outline of Next Steps
Before you begin this assignment, be sure you have read the “UMUC Haircuts Case Study”, the Case Study Staged Projects 1-4, the “Walmart Example,” and feedback on your graded work so far.
Purpose of this Assignment
This assignment gives you the opportunity to apply the concepts of this course to address the planning, development, implementation and on-going management of the technology solution you have proposed for the UMUC Haircuts business. This assignment specifically addresses the following course outcome to enable you to:
· identify and plan IT solutions that meet business objectives.
Outline of Next Steps for UMUC Haircuts
Following your presentation of your Stage 4 project, the owner of UMUC Haircuts has decided to move ahead and implement your proposed solution. Prior to beginning the project, the owner has asked you to prepare an outline explaining the next steps. For this assignment, you will develop an annotated outline that identifies the next steps to implement the solution described in Stages 2-4, addressing a number of areas such as project management, system development life cycle, change management, etc.
Using at least one external resource (a source other than those provided for the class) develop an annotated outline 2-3 pages in length, not including References and cover sheet, responding to the bulleted items below. Remember to correctly cite and reference your sources with APA format. Use the Grading Rubric to be sure you have covered everything. Your outline should be in Microsoft Word outline format. Submit your paper as a Word document (or a document that can be read in Word) with your last name included in the filename.
An annotated outline provides the basic information in full sentences, but in outline form rather than in paragraph form. In this case, you will address each aspect of the next steps to be taken to implement your technology solution. You should provide all of the important facts, without the expanded discussions used in full papers.
Each of the topics in the list below should be explained as they apply to your proposed technology solution and to UMUC Haircuts, using a few sentences for each topic and providing information specific to your solution.
Your annotated outline should address the next steps in each of the following areas that UMUC Haircuts will take to implement your technology solution:
- VERY brief description of proposed technology solution, including such things as what process is being improved, major hardware employed, what major software will be used, what type of communications will be used, who will provide the services, and what facilities are needed. This should be done in just 3 or 4 sentences, to set the stage for the rest of the outline. Also, include the following from the end of Stage 1 (with any recommended changes):
- Generic Strategy
- Strategic Business Area
- Process to be improved
- Project Management (schedule, management of resources-both human and financial, deliverables)
- System Development Life Cycle (all phases and how they apply to your solution)
- Change Management (Note that there are two aspects: managing the change introduced with your technology solution and managing changes to the solution after it is implemented.)
- Employee Training
- Leadership Expectations (the owner’s expectations of how the project will be managed and what it will produce)
- Defining Success (what will be “measured” to determine if the process has been improved, and if the business strategy and objectives are being met)
Also, you need to do some external research (using resources other than those in the classroom) on at least one aspect of the assignment – your choice – and incorporate it and cite it in APA format in your response.
The “right” and “wrong” answers have to do with whether or not you correctly incorporated the concepts from the course and addressed all areas of the assignment. Your “next steps” must be defined specifically forUMUC Haircuts, addressing its operation and its environment and your technology solution. Use the Rubric below to be sure you have covered all aspects.
Concepts (from Weeks 6-7):
· Project Management: Solution Management Module (Week 6)
· SDLC: Solution Management Module (Week 6)
· Change Management: Leadership & Change Management Module (Week 7)
· Employee Training:Leadership & Change Management Module (Week 7)
· Leadership Expectations: Leadership & Change Management Module (Week 7)
· Defining Success: This is a good area for some external research
· Project Management Best Practices: Project Management Best Practices(Week 7)