Winsome Manufacturing Company produces plastic storage containers and sells them to the home consumer through home sales events. At the company’s quarterly meeting, the head of marketing described a new product to be introduced in the first quarter of the next fiscal year, approximately 9 months from now. The product will be a room-sized plastic storage unit suitable to the outside of the home; it is similar to a competitor’s product but will have significantly more features. This product will open new markets for the sales channel, lay the foundation for add-on products, and generate new revenues. Management has only seen preliminary sketches of the potential product but are very excited by the new product.
The project will require participation from the design, production, purchasing, shipping, sales, and marketing departments. Winsome Manufacturing owns a line of suitable injection molds, so all manufacturing will be done in-house. The project manager for this project has not yet been selected, but that decision is expected to be made in the next week.
A preliminary project initiation meeting will result in the identification of the project sponsor, selection of a project manager, and creation of the project charter. A manager in the production department who knows you are taking a college project management course asks you to prepare a brief report to help him prepare for the meeting by answering the following questions:
- Who are the project stakeholders? How will they be involved in the project?
- Who should be the project sponsor? Why?
- From which department should the project manager come? Why?
- What skills and experience are likely needed by the project manager for each phase in the project life cycle, and how do they differ between the various phases?
- What type of communication plan will likely be needed during the project?
- What information should be shared with the project stakeholders?
- What is the mechanism that could be used for each type of information?
- What is the frequency with which information should be shared?
- What should be done if project communications are not proving to be effective?
- What technology could be used for project communications?
- At what point could communication about the project become an ethical or legal issue?
- What information should be included in the following elements of the project charter:
- What is the problem the project proposes to address?
- What business opportunity might project completion create?
- What is the business case for undertaking the project?
- What is the financial impact of the project?
- What are the expected results of the project?
- What value will the project add?
- What are risks that might be involved with undertaking the project?
- What is the potential impact to the company if the project is not undertaken?
Present your findings as a Word document of 4–5 pages (not including title and reference pages) formatted in APA style.
McGee Carpet and Trim installs carpets in commercial offices. Andrea McGee has been very concerned with the amount of time it took to complete several recent jobs. Some of her workers are very unreliable. A list of activities and their optimistic completion time, the most likely completion time, and the pessimistic completion time (all in days) for a new contract are provided in a given table. Following are the activities that are required to install the carpets in the offices:
- Activity 1:Measure office room dimensions
- Activity 2:Estimate cost
- Activity 3:Material requisition
- Activity 4: Workforce requisition
- Activity 5: Special tool requisition
- Activity 6: Installation
- Activity 7: Inspection and customer acceptance
Activity 2 starts immediately after Activity 1. Activity 3, Activity 4, and Activity 5 start concurrently after Activity 2. Activity 6 does not start until after Activity 3, Activity 4, and Activity 5 are completed. The carpet installation project is complete after Activity 7 is completed. If OT = Optimistic Time, MT = Most Likely Time, and PT = Pessimistic Time, use a Program Evaluation Review Estimate (PERT) to compute the statistical time for each activity, as in the following table:
You must also do the following:
- Determine the expected completion time and the variance for each activity
- Determine the total project completion time and the critical path for the project
- Determine Early Start (ES), Early Finish (EF), Late Start (LS), and slack for each activity
- What is the probability that McGee Carpet and Trim will finish the project in 40 days or less?
- Defineproject management and the necessary requirements.
- Analyze implications of changes in project scheduling.
- Evaluate application of project management techniques in terms of the firm’s business operational goals and requirements.
Please submit your assignment in an APA-formatted paper.
Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- Title page:Remember the running head. The title should be in all capitals.
- Abstract:A summary of your paper, not an introduction. Begin writing in third-person voice.
- Body:The body of your paper begins on the page following the title page and abstract page and must be double-spaced (be careful not to triple- or quadruple-space between paragraphs). The type face should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics except as required for APA-level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 2–3 pages. In-body academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- Reference page:References that align with your in-body academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hang indention, italics, and upper- and lowercase usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the Reference Page is not a bibliography but a further listing of the abbreviated in-body citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-body citation.