Portfolio Project: Legal and Ethical Dilemma Case Study Evaluation
Your Portfolio Project provides an opportunity to evaluate a real-world ethical dilemma from the perspective of the healthcare/hospital administrator. You will use your skills and knowledge of ethics and health law as well as role-playing to create a postmortem evaluation plan for prevention of future situations to present to your Senior Leadership team and the Board of Governors. A postmortem analysis is performed after the fact to evaluate the situation and identify a plan for prevention of future incidents.
I’ve chosen Case#6 In re Mary O’ Conner on end-of-life on pages 297-298 in Contemporary Issues in Healthcare Law and Ethics. Please see attached PDF’s file.
Write a 12-15 pages report evaluating this case and providing recommendations of this case. Your report should address the following substantive requirements:
- Description of what occurred, who was affected, and rationale
- Assessment of the case from the following perspectives:
- Ethical – describe the ethical principles involved and expectations for all involved.
- Legal – define and argue the legal implications for each party. Explain health laws involved and the influence of the legal environment at the time of this case.
- Regulatory compliance – examine regulatory standards and compliance involved.
- Health reform – illustrate how this case and your role as administrator are different now due to changes in health law and expectations from health reform.
- Recommendations – argue at least three recommendations for the current and future prevention of this type of situation in your facility.
- Action plan for prevention – create an action plan for prevention explaining how you would implement these recommendations.
Your report should meet the following structural requirements:
- Be 12-15 pages in length, not including the cover or reference pages.
- Be formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.
- Provide support for your statements with in-text citations from a minimum of ten (10) scholarly articles. Five (5) of these sources may be from the class readings, textbook, or lectures, but at least five (5) must be external. The CSU-Global Library is a good place to find these references.
- Use correct terminology pertaining to the law and ethics
- Utilize the following headings to organize the content in your work.
- Introduction and Description
- Action Plan for Prevention