Society’s response to crime has changed over the past century. The approach of rehabilitation in the 1960s has gradually been replaced with a “get tough on crime” approach, bringing in mandatory sentencing laws and long prison sentences. Regardless of the approach, crime continues to be a problem, and recidivism for some crimes and some offenders remains high. In this assignment, you will explore society’s response to crime and different concepts of justice.
Read the following article from the Argosy University online library:
- Tyler, T. R. (2006). Restorative justice and procedural justice: Dealing with rule breaking. Journal of Social Issues, 62(2), 307–326. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-4560.2006.00452.x (EBSCO AN 20779250)
Research the ideas of justice using the textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet.
Based on your research and the discussions so far, analyze the usefulness of the ideas of justice in lowering recidivism. Address the following:
- Is restorative justice useful in lowering the rate of recidivism? For which types of crimes and offenders is it most useful? Make sure to include any demographic information that may be useful in defending this type of “justice.”
- Is procedural or moral justice more applicable for this aim? For which types of crimes and offenders is it most useful? Make sure to include any demographic information that may defend one or the other.
- Which type of justice is most useful based on the psychological theories of crime? For which types of crimes and offenders is it most useful?
Make sure your essay includes the following:
- A title page with a running head
- A reference page
Write a 5–7-page essay in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Grading Criteria and Rubric
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria
Explain restorative justice impact on lowering the rate of recidivism.
Evaluate procedural or moral justice.
Justify which type of justice is most useful based on the psychological theories.
Usage and mechanics (16)
APA elements (24)