Discussion: Advances in Flight Controls
In this discussion activity, address the following in your primary, original posting:
Read the information at Inside Sikorsky’s Speed Record Breaking Helicopter Technology (Links to an external site.) and then conduct additional research into aircraft and helicopter assembly and flight control rigging.
- How are advances in flight controls used to reduce vibration in rotorcraft applications?
- What type of alignments are completed during aircraft assembly that affect performance?
- What applications are best suited for flight controls that are operated by cable, hydraulics, and electric?
Please reply to at least two of your classmates in the forum by the last day of this module. To ensure that all students receive feedback, reply first to any students who have not yet received replies from other students. Include in your replies:
- In reviewing your classmates’ response, consider their responses. What could have been added to make their response more complete?
Read the following textbook selections and linked web resources.
- Crane’s Aviation Maintenance Technician Series: Airframe Volume 1
- Chapter 4 – Assembly and Rigging (pages 269 – 318)
- Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook – Airframe, Volume 1 (Links to an external site.)
- Chapter 2 (pages 2-41 through 2-70)
View the following videos:
- Flight Controls (2:09) (Links to an external site.)
- Helicopter Flight Controls (17:07) (Links to an external site.)
- How it Works Flight Controls (1:52) (Links to an external site.)
- Building Boeing 747-8 (44:59) (Links to an external site.)
- A380 Assembly (7:14) (Links to an external site.)