Assignment 1: Discussion—Ethics in Business
Tim Smith is purchasing a business named Underground Shoes and Accessories near Lutz, Florida. The business has had several brushes with the law during the past few years, dealing with claims of false advertising and wrongful termination of employees. As a result, Smith is concerned about the ethical culture of the firm.
In this assignment, you will review the concept of ethics discussed in this module to critically evaluate the existing or potential ethical problems in Smith’s business and help him propose solutions to eliminate the problems.
Respond to the following points:
- What specific techniques could Smith use to increase the emphasis on business ethics when he takes control of the firm? Explain.
- What, in your opinion, can be done to improve the human resource management (HRM) of the firm, to avoid future legal problems?
- By the due date assigned, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through the end of module, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts who chose terms different from yours. While responding, address issues brought up in your classmates’ posts and compare them with yours.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40