Writing Assignment: Fiction
Choose one of the topics listed below. Compose a 5-paragraph essay (introduction, three body paragraphs, and conclusion) that is 500 words. You may go over slightly (25-50 words). Make sure that you have a clear thesis statement in your introduction and that you support your thesis in your body paragraphs. When you choose a topic, make certain that you write about and stay within the boundaries of that topic.
Once you choose a topic and have brainstormed your paper then written a rough draft, write a clear, focused paper. If you quote from the story, then put the page number in parenthesis after the quote. Titles of short stories are always written in quotation marks. Also, edit your paper for grammar errors or have someone edit for you. Watch out for fragments and run-on sentences. Finally, give your paper a title so that I know which topic you chose. You don’t have to copy the topic choice; just put a one-line title at the top that reveals what your paper is about.
CHOICE OF TOPICS:
- In “A Good Man is Hard to Find” the grandmother and the Misfit are very similar. Describe three ways they are alike. Write a thesis statement in your introduction that says how they are similar. Then, have three body paragraphs that support the similarities. Finish with a strong conclusion. This is a comparison essay.
- Define the word “pride” as it relates to Montresor and Fortunato. Use examples from the story, “The Cask of Amontillado” to illustrate how both the narrator, Montresor, and the victim, Fortunato, are both proud characters. This is a characterization essay. Write thesis in your introduction that states three ways that Montresor and Fortunato are proud. Then, write three body paragraphs that explain how they are proud. End your essay with a strong conclusion.
- Compare James Joyce’s young boy in “Araby” to Jing-Mei in “A Pair of Tickets.” Show how both of these characters experience an epiphany or awakening in their lives. You are looking for three ways these two characters are alike. Write a thesis statement in your introduction that states three ways they are similar. Then, write a bout these similarities in your body paragraphs. End your essay with a strong conclusion. This is a comparison essay.
- Analyze and evaluate the grandmother’s obsession with the past in “A Good Man is Hard to Find.” Cite three examples from the story where O’Connor indicates the past is better than the present from the grandmother’s perspective. Make certain you have a clear thesis statement in your introduction that states the grandmother’s connection with the past. Follow up with three body paragraphs that explain her obsession with the past. Finalize your essay with a strong conclusion. This is a character analysis essay.
- The last line in “Araby” is famous: “Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.” Define this quote, then give examples from the story to illustrate the meaning, finally conclude with an example in your own life when you were blind and then “woke up.” Your three body paragraphs are already given to you: define the quote, give examples from the story of how this boy was vain and driven, and conclude with a personal example in your own life. Have a clear thesis in your introduction that states the areas you will write a bout; this is primarily a definition essay. End your essay with a strong conclusion.
- At the end of the story “A Pair of Tickets,” Jing-mei recognizes her lost mother and her lost self in the faces of her sisters. The important part of her that is Chinese is her family. In finding her sisters, she finds not only what her mother wanted for herself but also what she wanted for her two lost daughters. What causes Jing-mei to change? In this essay you will want to have a clear thesis in your introduction that states reasons how or why Jing-mei changes. Support your thesis in the body paragraphs. Complete your essay with a strong conclusion. This is a cause essay.
- What does the Misfit in “A Good Man is Hard to Find” mean when he says about the grandmother “She would of been a good woman, if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life.”? Explain why the Misfit said this as well as what the statement means. This is again a definition essay. First, have a thesis in your introduction that states what your essay will cover: an explanation as to why the Misfit said this statement and a definition of its meaning. Your first body paragraphs will explain the quote. Your last two body paragraphs will provide different meanings or explanations of the quote. Finish with a strong conclusion.
- Montresor in “The Cask of Amontillado” and the Misfit in “A Good Man is Hard to Find” share some interesting characteristics. Describe how these two characters are alike. Write thesis statement in your introduction that lists the similarities. Then, support your thesis with three body paragraphs that show the similarities. Finish your essay with a strong conclusion. This is a comparison essay.