Case Study 2: Cisco’s Remote Access
Due Week 4 and worth 60 points
Go to Cisco’s Website and read, “How Cisco IT Provides Remote Access for Small Offices and Teleworkers”, located at http://bit.ly/MkvlbA. According to the study, an IDC forecast from December 2007, expected the global mobile worker population to increase from 758.6 million in 2006 to more than 1.0 billion in 2011. Cisco had a significant number of telecommuting employees and faced three challenges: provide network access features that cannot be supported on a software VPN client, automate and simplify router provisioning and updates, and enable a scalable VPN solution to support up to 30,000 workers.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
1. Evaluate the deployment cost savings realized by Cisco, and determine if it was significant.
2. Analyze how the solution deployed by Cisco improved:
1. employee productivity
1. Discuss how Cisco was able to achieve VPN scalability to support thousands of users.
2. When thousands of employees telecommute and work in virtual offices, there are benefits to the environment. Discuss the environmental impact of the Cisco telecommuting and virtual offices solution.
3. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment.Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Define proper security controls within the User Domain to mitigate risks and threats caused by human behavior.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in access control.
• Write clearly and concisely about topics related to Security Access & Control Strategies using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.