Assignment 1: The Critic’s Choice Due Week 3 and worth 120 points Imagine you are an art critic who has just seen a specific artwork for the first time at an art gallery opening. Select a specific piece of art from Chapters
Assignment 1: The Critic’s Choice
Due Week 3 and worth 120 points
Imagine you are an art critic who has just seen a specific artwork for the first time at an art gallery opening. Select a specific piece of art from Chapters 1-4, and research the background of the artists and the movement that it represents. Write a critique for the city newspaper.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Describe the artwork in terms of subject, medium, composition, and use of color.
- Classify the work of art, highlighting the style, movement, and any innovation the artist displayed.
- Analyze the relationship between the work of art and the influences on the artist that shape the interpretation of the art.
- Explain your personal view of the work and make a recommendation for or against the public viewing the work.
- Include three (3) references to support your claims. (The text may be used as one (1) reference.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length. Include the name of the artist and title of the art piece being discussed under the title of the paper.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the essential relationship between any work of art and the various kinds of influences on the artist and audience that shape the interpretation of the art.
- Explain the formal elements of various styles of modern art both in general and in specific works.
- Classify key artists and styles in the visual arts from the Impressionist period to the present.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in modern art
- Write clearly and concisely about modern art using proper writing mechanics.