Assignment 1: Discussion—Does Hard Work Pay Off?
Shipler (2005), wrote, “[b]y itself, hard work alone would not pay off. But unless employers can and will pay a good deal more for society’s essential labor, those working hard at the edge of poverty will stay there. And America‘s rapturous hymn to work will sound a sour note” (p. 45–46).
Respond to the following:
- What does the above statement by Shipler mean to you?
- How does the employment of the working poor contribute to the American economy?
- What jobs exist only because there is the working poor?
- Are there jobs in other social classes that rely upon the working poor?
Write your initial response in approximately 200–300 words. Apply APA standards to the citation of sources.
Due by JUNE 30, post your response to the Discussion Area. Through the end of the module, review the postings of your peers and respond to at least two of them. Consider commenting on the following:
- Low-wage jobs that you have personally held that could be considered slated for the working poor.
- How to offer better employment opportunities for the working poor.
Shipler, D. K. (2005). The working poor: Invisible in America. New York, NY: Knopf.